After riding a 125cc dirt bike for some time, I thought it was time to upgrade. I planned to get a 250cc dirt bike, and I had first to research its speed. So, how fast does a 250cc dirt bike go?
Unsurprising, most 250cc dirt bikes by leading dirt bike brands can hit 70-85mph on perfect riding conditions. However, a dirt bike like the Kawasaki Ninja 250 can hit 100mph.
While speaking of perfect riding conditions, we are talking about a smooth track and good weather.
However, it’s worth noting that factors like engine size, bike weight, rider’s weight, and rider’s experience influence the dirt bike’s top speed just as much as the riding conditions.
So, we are going to look at how those factors affect the dirt bike’s maximum speed. We’ll also look at the various top speeds by the best 250cc bikes by leading brands.
But before that, let’s first compare a 250cc 2-stroke with a 4-stroke.
2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke
Typically, 2-stroke engines have two main functions; combustion and compression, thus their name. Because they complete their cycles in only two motions, they are less complicated.
2-stroke engines are also pretty lightweight, and that makes them faster. Sadly, they require more maintenance and are often noisier.
4-stroke engines, in contrast, have four functions; intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust. They are generally heavier than 2-stroke options.
They are, however, easier to maintain and less noisy.
Speed-wise, leading 250cc two-stroke dirt bikes can hit 70-85mph under favorable conditions. On the other hand, most 4-stroke options have a top speed of about 70-80mph.
Of course, there are a few exceptions, like the Kawasaki Ninja 250, which can hit 100mph.
Comparing Top Speeds by Leading 250cc Dirt Bike Brands
Let’s compare the 2-stroke to the 4-stroke top speeds of leading 250cc dirt bike brands.
1. Apollo 250cc Dirt Bike Top Speed
Nowadays, you’ve to mention Apollo alongside the big boys. The Chinese manufacturer has bossed its way into the 250cc dirt bike sector with its fast 250cc engines.
Leading the line is the Apollo AGB-36, which has a top speed of 70mph. The four-stroke dirt bike brags of a staggering 15.64HP horsepower and a rotation speed of 5500RPM.
And if you want a speedier two-stroke engine, that’s no problem has Apollo offers you the Apollo DB-G011. The dirt bike also relishes a top speed of 70mph on perfect racing conditions.
The 5-speed engine enjoys a 17HP horsepower which is an upgrade of the Apollo AGB-36.
2. Honda 250 Dirt Bike Top Speed
Honda has a big name to protect, and they seem to be living up to expectation when it comes to their 250cc engines. The Japanese motorcycle brand promises performance and practicality from their 250cc dirt bikes.
After digging around, I stumbled on the Honda CRF250X, a legendary workhorse with a top speed of 70mph.
The 4-stroke dirt bike flaunts a powerful liquid-cooled engine, which is among the most efficient on the market.
Sadly, Honda, alongside Suzuki and Kawasaki, no longer make two-stroke 250cc dirt bikes. So, you’ll have to settle for a four-stroke option if you are a diehard Honda fan.
3. 250cc Dirt Bike Yamaha
Yamaha relishes a formidable presence in the dirt bike sector, especially the class 250cc.
One of Yamaha’s hottest and fastest 250cc dirt bikes is the Yamaha WR250R that brags of a top speed of 80mph.
So, this 4-stroke dirt bike is a fantastic choice for dirt racing.
Other fast 250cc four-stroke dirt bikes by Yamaha include the Yamaha YZ250F and the Yamaha WR250F. Both of these dirt bikes can hit a top speed of 70mph under favorable riding conditions.
Yamaha also impresses in the two-stroke sector, given that the Yamaha Y3250 can clock 60mph.
4. Suzuki 250cc Dirt Bike Speed
Suzuki also has some speedy and exceptionally stylish 250cc dirt bikes. The company also makes cheap 250cc dirt bikes.
Its 4-stroke pace-setter, the Suzuki RM-Z250, comes with a remarkable top speed of 85mph.
The excellent dirt bike is a perfect bet for any dirt bike racing contest or adventure.
Suzuki no longer makes two-stroke 250cc engines, which is unfortunate.
5. KTM 250cc Dirt Bike Speed
KTM is currently rubbing shoulders with the big players, and it’s pretty understandable.
After all, who wouldn’t, especially when your best 250 dirt bike can hit 78mph? Well, I’m talking about the KTM 250 SX-F, one of the newest entrants into the 250cc KTM dirt bike cycle but the fastest.
The 4-stroke dirt bike is an upgrade of the original KTM 250 SX, a two-stroke engine with a top speed of 60mph.
While the original KTM 250 SX was impressive in all aspects, its speed was wanting, and that’s the reason behind KTM 250 SX-F.
A top speed of 78mph is not bad, either for dirt racing, commuting, or adventure.
6. Husqvarna 250cc Dirt Bike Speed
Originally from Sweden, Husqvarna has slowly and steadily crawled its way into the dirt bike market. The brand has some of the most stylish and safest 250cc dirt bikes on the market.
But how fast is a 250cc dirt bike by Husqvarna?
Their ever-impressive 250cc Husqvarna TC250 has a top speed of 72mph. That’s not bad for a two-stroke dirt bike.
And when it comes to 4-stroke options, the Husqvarna FC250 is a safe choice given that it has a top speed of 43mph. So, it’s generally a good choice for slow riders, especially commuters.
7. Kawasaki 250cc Dirt Bike Speed
Kawasaki has won many dirt bike cyclists’ hearts with its delightful, agile, and resilient dirt bikes.
The manufacturer has arguably the fastest 250cc dirt bike known to man, the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.
Like an actual ninja, this 4-stroke dirt bike can hit 100mph under favorable racing conditions.
Its 1100RPM rotation speed and 36HP horsepower are unrivaled, making the dirt bike an exceptional buy.
Sadly, Kawasaki no longer makes 2-stroke 250cc dirt bikes, something they stopped in 2007. Nonetheless, there is a long list of fast four-stroke options for your consideration.
Here’s a simplified table comparing potential speeds by leading brands.
|250cc Dirt Bike Brand||2-Stroke Potential Top Speed||4-Stroke Potential Top Speed|
Factors That Affect the Top Speed of 250cc Dirt Bikes
Overall, these factors dictate how fast a 250cc dirt bike can go:
- Dirt bike brand – As seen, different dirt bike brands have different top speeds. From our discussion, the Kawasaki Ninja 250R is arguably the fastest 4-stroke 250cc dirt bike and the fastest overall, while the KTM 250 SX-F is the fastest 2-stroke 250cc option.
- Engine size – In as far as the engine size is concerned, 2-stroke options are generally faster for being lighter. There are, however, a few exceptions, such as the Kawasaki Ninja 250R.
- Bike’s weight – You expect a lightweight dirt bike to be easy to ride and, therefore, faster. Thus, consider the bike’s overall weight when picking your next 250cc dirt racing engine.
- Tire weight – Generally, lighter tires roll faster than heavier ones. So, if the tires of your dirt bike 250cc are heavier, replace them with lighter ones to improve your overall speed.
- Rider’s experience – Expectedly, an experienced biker rides faster than a newbie. The more experienced you are, the better you balance and maneuver the dirt bike.
- Exhaust system – The material type of your exhaust system influences the bike’s overall speed. For example, replacing a steel exhaust with an aluminum one can improve the speed.
- Rider’s weight – Your weight has an impact on the dirt bike speed just as much as the bike’s weight. So, the heavier you are, the slower you are likely to go.
- Nature of track – You should expect to ride faster on paved flat surfaces than on rugged roads and long climbs. So, if you want to ride faster, look for a smoother track.
- Weather – Bad weather slows you down as you have to ride cautiously. So, even if you have the speediest dirt bike, you cannot reach top speed when the weather is terrible.
What Is The Best 250 Dirt Bike?
Now that we’ve looked at the speediest 250cc dirt bikes by leading brands, it’s logical to ask which the best is.
I should clarify, however, that it’s not just about speed. You also have to consider the following:
- Dirt bike size
- Tires quality
- Engine size and strength
- Suspension type
- Rider’s experience level
In addition to the dirt bikes I’ve covered above, which I think are the best, also consider these two:
- Apollo 250cc Teen/Adult Dirt Bike with a top speed 60mph
- Roketa Dirt Bike 08-250 with a top speed of 55-60mph
We cannot answer ‘how fast does a 250cc dirt bike go?’ without comparing top speeds by leading dirt bike brands. Now that I have done so, you know what to expect from your 250cc dirt bike.
- How Fast Do Dirt Bikes Go?
- How Fast Does a 40cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 50cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 60cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 65cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 70cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 80cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 85cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 100cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 150cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How Fast Does A 125cc Dirt Bike Go?
- How fast does a 450cc dirt bike go?
- How fast does a 500cc dirt bike go?